Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Mercedes Lackey ----> A Feminist???? Part 2

I decided to research this a little further. At work, it being a feminist library, they are very careful about what goes on the shelf. And Misty's works are considered by one of the collective as too fluffy and not serious enough. Well, obviously I don't agree otherwise I wouldn't be writing this. I for one, when I am reading for pleasure, don't like to read anything that is based too much on reality. So crime, drama etc are out. I want to escape to a world that reflects how I would like to see my life, or my world. A place where your face is not your calling card. Where you are taken at face value and valued for your abilities.

Yes I could dream on a little more but I think that it would be a problem if I got too caught up in the fantasy and forget about reality!

Out of interest, I have been searching for sites that discuss feminism and Mercedes Lackey and Have been having a great deal of trouble finding anything that is recent.

But anyway here is what I have found so far.....

A review from http://www.feministsf.org/femsf/reviews/lackey.m.html dated 8/13/95.

This site also seems to have a great mailing list for the discussion of feminist sci fi and fantasy....great!!!

"Because of the prominence of female and homosexual characters in her high fantasy works, she has been criticized for writing "fluffy" fantasy novels which bear little or no resemblance to real or pseudo-real history. Given that fantasy is an escape from reality, the relevance of this criticism is somewhat questionable."

Quoted from http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Mercedes_Lackey a great encyclopedia article on Misty which is very similar to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_Lackey Curious.....




Well enough of that now, I have looked for a while to find stuff on Misty and feminism and can't seem to find much at all, and even less that has been written in the last 3 years.

That is simply sad.

No comments: